Sunday, June 2, 2013

Horn scaled Victorinox Excelsior with long nailfile

The lady in Basel told me a rather nice, interesting story about an 90 year old lady who had a shop and sold her some vintage Victorinox knives. They were all in perfect state and had the name "Luscher Basel" etched in the main blade. I bought the two knives she had left for far too much money, but I couldn't resist. A knife is as strong as the story behind it... This one measures 75mm in closed position and weighs 26grams. I call it an Excelsior in the title, but the Excelsior measures 84mm, while this one is smaller and has the long nail file. The only name I could find was actually a number. Before a certain date, Victorinox gave their knives a number instead of a name. This knife, according to the Elsener 1942 catalog, has the number 50. This is at least if this particular number 50 contains a long nail file. In the catalog, number 50 doesn't show the nail file, but number 52 does. This one has the stainless steel scales, so I have no idea which one it actually is. The only thing I do know, is that my knife, when I look at the tang stamp and long nail file, must have been made around 1942. If you look at the condition, this knife is a real gem... My first horn scaled Vic...

UPDATE : It seems, according to SAKwiki that there's a name for this type of knife. Around the eighties, Victorinox made the Accountant with the same tools as my knife. It looks exactly the same, but has the Tweezers and toothpick. I still believe that mine must've been made around the early 40's, since the blade stamp is the only lead I can follow...






No comments:

Post a Comment